From Skeptical Voter Wiki
Christopher Monckton, 3rd Viscount Monckton of Brenchley is a UKIP politician. He stood in the 2011 Scottish Parliamentary elections as lead UKIP candidate in Mid Scotland and Fife, and was subsequently appointed UKIP Scotland Leader until November 2013.
In April 2010 he was appointed UKIP environment and climate spokesman, and in this position he answered a series of questions on UKIP science policy for the Guardian in advance of the 2010 general election.
He has been described by atheist and science blogger PZ Myers as a "raving loon", and by journalist Tom Chivers as "a fantasist, a blethering popinjay useful only for amusement" who "reflects badly on those people who want seriously to argue against the science of climate change".
A list of some of the things allegedly claimed by Monckton is here: http://bbickmore.wordpress.com/lord-moncktons-rap-sheet/
A presentation by John Abraham looking at claims made by Monckton in October 2009 is available here: http://www.stthomas.edu/engineering/jpabraham/
This presentation has been revised and revisions are available here: http://courseweb.stthomas.edu/jpabraham/
An initial response by Monkton is available here: http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/monckton-at-last-the-climate-extremists-try-to-debate-us-pjm-exclusive/
A response by John Abraham is available here: http://www.skepticalscience.com/Abraham-reply-to-Monckton.html
A more extensive response by Monckton is available here: http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/monckton-warm-abra-qq2.pdf
A news item published on UKIP's website on 4 June 2010 titled "Christopher: A man of many talents", included Monckton's CV. It contained the following item:
- 2008-present: RESURREXI Pharmaceutical: Director responsible for invention and development of a broad-spectrum cure for infectious diseases. Patents have now been filed. Patients have been cured of various infectious diseases, including Graves’ Disease, multiple sclerosis, influenza, and herpes simplex VI. Our first HIV patient had his viral titre reduced by 38% in five days, with no side-effects. Tests continue.
- ↑ http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/ukip-wiped-out-north-of-the-border-after-its-scots-leader-is-sacked.22833054
- ↑ http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/apr/27/ukip-science-policy-general-election
- ↑ http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/04/wait_maybe_britain_needs_to_ke.php
- ↑ http://climatechangepsychology.blogspot.com/2010/06/telegraph-steps-outside-its-alternate.html
- ↑ http://www.ukip.org/content/latest-news/1675-christopher-a-man-of-many-talents