From Skeptical Voter Wiki
In May 2008 in the abortion amendments to the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill (now Act), Michael Fallon voted for the abortion time limit to be lowered to 20 weeks against scientific and medical consensus which is currently 24 weeks. After four separate parliamentary votes on varying time limits, the majority of MPs voted to keep the abortion time limit at 24 weeks, in keeping with scientific and medical consensus, hence no abortion amendments were added to the bill.
In 2006, MPs were asked three questions by the Rough Guide's Mark Ellingham on how seriously they took climate change as politicians and as responsible, active citizens. Michael Fallon replied:
- "1: A major concern, coupled with energy security.
- 2: Britain has a big influence internationally, and we should be using it in fora such as the UN, EU, G8 and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. We should encourage, and lead on, investment in hydrogen fuel cell and other cleaner alternative energy technologies.
- 3: I meet my local Friends of the Earth group regularly. I fully support Sevenoaks District and Kent County Councils in their recycling initiatives. As a family we are all aware of the implications of climate change; we try to conserve water and energy wherever possible; we use public transport where we can; and we share cars wherever possible on school runs."
On 6th May 2008, Michael Fallon voted against a Lords amendment to abolish the common law offences of blasphemy and blasphemous libel. The amendment was nonetheless passed by a vote of 378 to 57.
- To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills how many family law cases have been dealt with by Sharia tribunals under the Arbitration Act 1996 in each year since 1997.
- ↑ http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2006-07/1240
- ↑ http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmselect/cmsctech/1045/104502.htm
- ↑ http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/climate-change-what-mps-think---d-to-f-424395.html
- ↑ http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/division.php?date=2008-05-06&number=170&display=allvotes
- ↑ http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2011-06-10b.58472.h
- ↑ http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmhansrd/cm110610/text/110610w0002.htm#11061051004078
Why not help us expand this page with more details of this politician's positions on skeptical issues?
- E-Mail them to ask for their opinions (and tell us about it by editing this page!)
- Check their voting record and other details at the External Links listed above.
- Search the media for mentions of them and their positions on issues.
- Use your own brilliant ideas - but make sure you can back them up with a citation!