From Skeptical Voter Wiki
In May 2008 in the abortion amendments to the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill (now Act), Menzies Campbell voted to keep the current time limit of 24 weeks in line with the scientific and medical consensus.
Menzies Campbell signed the February 2009 Early Day Motion 754: MMR Vaccine and the Media supporting the use of the MMR vaccine. The motion expressed disappointment with the reporting of the vaccine by Jeni Barnett on her LBC radio show in January 2009, and expressed the hope that future reporting of the issue of MMR would be less sensationalist and more evidence-based.
In 2006, MPs were asked three questions by the Rough Guide's Mark Ellingham on how seriously they took climate change as politicians and as responsible, active citizens. Menzies Campbell replied:
- "Climate change is the greatest moral challenge to the politicians and people of our generation. It requires urgent action. We have a narrow window of opportunity within which we can affect the course of climate change. In ten years it could be too late."
In October 2010, Menzies Campbell signed Early Day Motion 767: Science is Vital Campaign. The motion stated that the house "believes that continued investment in research is vital in order to meet the technological and social challenges of the 21st century, and to continue to attract high-tech industries to invest here; further believes that large cuts to science funding are a false economy, due to evidence that research investment fuels economic growth".
Libel Law Reform
In January 2010, Menzies Campbell signed Early Day Motion 423 calling for a reform of the English libel law. The motion noted that human rights activists, scientists, writers and journalists are currently prevented from publishing, and the public prevented from reading, matters of strong public interest due to the chilling effect of the law.
- ↑ http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmselect/cmsctech/1045/104502.htm
- ↑ http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2008-09/754
- ↑ http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/climate-change-what-mps-think--a-to-c-424376.html
- ↑ http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2010-12/767
- ↑ http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2009-10/423
Why not help us expand this page with more details of this politician's positions on sceptical issues?
- E-Mail them to ask for their opinions (and tell us about it by editing this page!)
- Check their voting record and other details on TheyWorkForYou.com and edit this page to add them!
- Check for information at the External Links listed above.
- Search the media for mentions of them and their positions on issues.
- Use your own brilliant ideas to find out about what this MP thinks - but make sure you can back them up with a citation!