From Skeptical Voter Wiki
Libel Law Reform
- "Thank you for writing to me about EDM 423 and libel law reform. I understand your concerns on this issue. It is important that those who contribute so much to research and culture in this country do not feel restrictred from publishing interllectually challenging and informative articles. Fear of libel action should not curb debate by scientists, academics and journalists. Freedom of expression is the hallmark of a free society and must be strongly protected.
- "If libel cases do succeed, the costs are often so crippling to defendants that even large newspapers are in diffculty in resisting some claims. It is evident that Britain has become an attractive place for individuals to bring about specualative libel action since lawyers will often bear the brunt of the costs in exchange for potential awards available to winning litigants.
- "I do believe, however, that we must be careful when changing libel law itself. People have the right not to be defamed unless necessary, and changes to this law should not risk this principle. I believe that the burden of proof should remain on individuals who make defamatory claims about other people to justify their asertions about others. For this reason, I do not feel that I can sign EDM 423.
- "Let me assure you that my colleagues on the Shadow Justice Team will continue to press the Government on this issue, to ensure that any changes to the law adequately protects individuals without placing too great a burden on, for example, scientists, academics and journlists. Thank you for taking the time to write to me."
Mobile Phone Masts
In February 2010, Mr Timpson proposed Early Day Motion 790: Mobile Telephone Masts which stated:
- That this House recognises the high level of concern in many communities regarding the planning of mobile telephone masts; believes that the current planning system is inadequate; and calls on the Government to bring all mobile telephone mast proposals under strict planning control, to include extensive consultation with local residents within that control system, to bring the precautionary principle into planning, and to give extra safeguards to schools, homes and medical facilities.
- ↑ http://xtaldave.posterous.com/why-tory-mp-edward-timpson-wont-sign-edm-423
- ↑ http://skepchick.org/blog/2010/01/libel-reform-which-mps-are-doing-their-jobs/
- ↑ http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2009-10/790
Why not help us expand this page with more details of this politician's positions on skeptical issues?
- E-Mail them to ask for their opinions (and tell us about it by editing this page!)
- Check their voting record and other details at the External Links listed above.
- Search the media for mentions of them and their positions on issues.
- Use your own brilliant ideas - but make sure you can back them up with a citation!