From Skeptical Voter Wiki
Electromagnetic Radiation and Health
Mitchell was listed as being on the Board of Trustees of the EM Radiation Research Trust. Andy Lewis of the Quackometer looked at the EM Radiation Research Trust in 2007: http://www.quackometer.net/blog/2007/05/wi-fi-quackery-and-parliament.html
Contraception in Developing Countries
In publicity material for the July 2012 London Summit on Family Planning, Mr Mitchell, as Secretary of State for International Development, was quoted as saying:
- "For far too long, the discussion around family planning has been taboo yet we know that 215 million women who want to use modern family planning methods are currently unable to. On July 11 we want to end this by holding a groundbreaking summit that will halve the current number of girls and women in the world's poorest countries who don't have access to contraception but want it."
Ahead of the summit, the Lancet had published a Family Planning Series which showed "how lack of access to family planning carries a huge price, not only in terms of women's and children's health and survival but also in economic terms".
As part of the summit the UK government pledged $800m (£516m) over 8 years. The talk at the summit was mostly around contraception; it is not known if money has been made available only for contraception/education.
- ↑ http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2006-07/1240
- ↑ http://archive.radiationresearch.org/supporters.asp
- ↑ http://www.londonfamilyplanningsummit.co.uk/
- ↑ http://www.thelancet.com/series/family-planning
- ↑ http://www.londonfamilyplanningsummit.co.uk/1530%20CommitmentSummary_Final_.pdf
Why not help us expand this page with more details of this politician's positions on skeptical issues?
- E-Mail them to ask for their opinions (and tell us about it by editing this page!)
- Check their voting record and other details at the External Links listed above.
- Search the media for mentions of them and their positions on issues.
- Use your own brilliant ideas - but make sure you can back them up with a citation!