Winston McKenzie is the 2015 UKIP Parliamentary candidate in Croydon North, where he also stood in the 2012 by-election. He previously stood for election as a UKIP candidate in Tottenham in the 2010 general election, and in Croydon and Sutton and as a list candidate in the 2012 London Assembly election.
On adoption by same-sex couples and same-sex marriage: http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/story-17426910-detail/story.html
(Note that this was in the context of recent reports that Labour-run Rotherham council had removed three young children from their foster parents because the couple were UKIP members. Hence UKIP members were talking a lot about adoption and foster parents.)
Quoted in article:
- "I've nothing against gays. I wouldn't attack a man or a woman because of their sexuality. They have fought very hard for the rights I have seen come to the fore and that says a lot for some of them.
- "But personally, as a deeply religious person, I don't advocate gay marriage. For thousands of years we have had marriage between a man and a woman.
- "To suddenly introduce gay marriage would be an insult to some gay people. I know a few gay people and they are really not bothered. They aren't concerned. For most of the general public it's not a big issue."
Seems to be confirmed by tweets on campaign Twitter account e.g. https://twitter.com/VOTEwinston/status/273180307631534080 "Gay fine, not gay adopt or marry"
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_McKenzie (seems to be some controversy - edits removing large sections of text, e.g. this edit)
Why not help us expand this page with more details of this politician's positions on skeptical issues?
- E-Mail them to ask for their opinions (and tell us about it by editing this page!)
- Check for information at the External Links listed above.
- Search the media for mentions of them and their positions on issues.
- Use your own brilliant ideas - but make sure you can back them up with a citation!