Skeptical Voter 2010 Questionnaire Response
1. Do you support the use of NHS money to provide unproven health products such as homeopathy?
Ans, I would expect the NHS to loik at traditional medicines and provide if reasonable evidence of improvement can be shown
2. Should schools be allowed to teach creationism as an equivalent theory to evolution?
Ans: freedom of choice is vital, that includes religious teaching being allowed i do not agree with
3. Do you believe that religious belief should be legally protected from ridicule?
No religion should be free for criticism as in any other belief system. hate crime should be restricted to advocacy of threatening behaviour or discrimination in employment or public service delivery
4. Should an independent government adviser whose views in their area of expertise conflict with government policy be able to express those views publicly?
yes an independent civil service is vital , but if senior advisers are in conflict with elected policy they can expect to stand down
5. Should religious courts such as Sharia and Beth Din be recognised as alternative systems within UK law?
Absolutely not, we are one country and should have one legal system
6. Do you agree that testing on animals (within strict criteria) is a necessary part of the development of medicines?
yes, but should be avoided where possible
7. Should policy-makers trust scientific evidence even when it appears counter-intuitive?
yes, just as a committee chairman I insist council decisions and funding be grounded on objective criteria
8. Do you think that abortion time limits should always be determined by the current scientific and medical consensus?
we should review then in consultation with medical advise and judge with input from sexual health advisers too
9. Should religious leaders be entitled to vote in the House of Lords?
We believe a mix of non-party peers has added value to the second chamber but should e a minority, including representatives of a broader mix of faith communities, not just CoE
10. Do you support the reform of English and Welsh libel law to allow a stronger 'public interest' defence?
Yes and we need go further to protect cllrs and others being pursued by standards boards to prevent legitimate public debate and scrutiny
Please ask about abolishing the repressive standards boards for cllrs