Website: http://www.stevebaker.info/where-i-stand/life/ - "Logically, I see no choice but to accept that a person first exists with a right to their own life when unique DNA is created, that is, at the point of conception." and "I support reducing the time limit within which abortion is permitted."
Mr Baker voted for Nadine Dorries’s amendment to the Health and Social Care Bill on 7 September 2011, which was ultimately defeated by 368 to 118 votes. This amendment would have stopped BPAS and Marie Stopes from providing counselling for women with unwanted pregnancies and allowed ‘independent’ counselling including that provided by faith-based organisations.
In February 2015 Mr Baker voted against allowing mitochondrial donation, which would allow women who carried mitochondrial diseases to give birth to children who would not inherit the disease. If allowed, mitochondrial donation would be regulated by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) meaning that there would be ongoing assessment of the safety and efficacy of such procedures. An October 2014 briefing report by the HFEA, which had been investigating the issue for three years, stated that there was no evidence to show that mitochondrial donation was unsafe. However, some religious groups had said that such procedures should not be allowed. The majority of MPs voted in favour of allowing mitochondrial donation.
- March 2012: http://www.stevebaker.info/where-i-stand/gay-marriage/
- February 2013: http://www.stevebaker.info/2013/02/why-i-voted-against-the-marriage-same-sex-couples-bill/
- July 2009: http://www.stevebaker.info/2009/07/meet-the-man-who-has-exposed-the-great-climate-change-con-trick-the-spectator/
- December 2010: http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2010/12/the-greatest-threat-to-civilisation-is-not-climate-change-but-bad-economics.html
- July 2012: http://www.stevebaker.info/2012/07/the-weather-qe-how-can-clever-people-be-so-wrong/
- July 2012: http://www.stevebaker.info/2012/07/book-review-popper-all-life-is-problem-solving/
Why not help us expand this page with more details of this politician's positions on skeptical and other issues?
- E-Mail them (alternative) to ask for their opinions (and tell us about it by editing this page!)
- Check their voting record and other information at the External Links listed above.
- Search the media for mentions of them and their positions on issues.
- Use your own brilliant ideas - but make sure you can back them up with a citation!