Health Committee Nomination
In February 2015 Sarah Newton voted in favour of allowing mitochondrial donation, which would allow women who carried mitochondrial diseases to have genetically related children who would not inherit the disease. An October 2014 briefing report by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA), which had been investigating the issue for three years, stated that there was no evidence to show that mitochondrial donation was unsafe. However, some religious groups had said that such procedures should not be allowed. After clearing both Houses mitochondrial donation is now legal, regulated by the HFEA.
Approx. January 2013: "I have been contacted by many of my constituents who have been keen to pass on their views about the issue of same sex couples and civil marriages. I do understand the strength of feeling over this issue and as a firm believer in representative democracy, I will be casting my vote on this issue according to the majority view of my constituents."
In March 2013 Ms Newton secured a Westminster Hall debate on bee health. During the debate she touched on the science: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/whall/?id=2013-03-26a.460.0
- http://www.sarahnewton.info/ - old blog
Why not help us expand this page with more details of this politician's positions on skeptical and other issues?
- E-Mail them to ask for their opinions (and tell us about it by editing this page!)
- Check their voting record and other information at the External Links listed above.
- Search the media for mentions of them and their positions on issues.
- Use your own brilliant ideas - but make sure you can back them up with a citation!