Skeptical Voter Questionnaire Response 2010
1. Do you support the use of NHS money to provide unproven health products such as homeopathy?
No, as it would not be value for money against proven health products.
2. Should schools be allowed to teach creationism as an equivalent theory to evolution?
No, it is not a scientific theory.
3. Do you believe that religious belief should be legally protected from ridicule?
No I don't, as I believe in free speech. However there is a balance in ensuring people are not insighting violence against religous groups, or any groups of individuals. In Northern Ireland a number of times people insighted religious hatered. And currently the case when it can be stirred up against both Islamic and Jewish people.
4. Should an independent government adviser whose views in their area of expertise conflict with government policy be able to express those views publicly?
Yes they should be able to express their advise publicly, and then politicians should have to explain why they rejected that advise.
5. Should religious courts such as Sharia and Beth Din be recognised as alternative systems within UK law?
Depends on what matters they are dealing with, and whether both parties go into the court willingly.
6. Do you agree that testing on animals (within strict criteria) is a necessary part of the development of medicines?
7. Should policy-makers trust scientific evidence even when it appears counter-intuitive?
8. Do you think that abortion time limits should always be determined by the current scientific and medical consensus?
Scientific evidence should inform decision making, not direct it.
9. Should religious leaders be entitled to vote in the House of Lords?
no, unless they are elected there (or appointed by the process other people go through to get there).
10. Do you support the reform of English and Welsh libel law to allow a stronger 'public interest' defence?
Yes. Especially around scientific debate.
2010 Election Leaflet Bar Chart
In the run-up to the 2010 general election, a leaflet was sent out supporting Jamieson-Ball, which included a misleading bar chart.
Why not help us expand this page with more details of this politician's positions on skeptical and other issues?
- Contact them to ask for their opinions (and tell us about it by editing this page!)
- Check for information at the External Links listed above.
- Search the media for mentions of them and their positions on issues.
- Use your own brilliant ideas - but make sure you can back them up with a citation!