In June 2015 Ms Gibson tabled Early Day Motion 187: Raif Badawi, which stated:
- That this House recognises the unjust arrest and imprisonment of Raif Badawi in Saudi Arabia in May 2014 for championing free speech and freedom of expression; is concerned that he was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment, 1,000 lashes, a fine of one million Saudi Riyal - over a quarter of a million US dollars - and prevented from using any kind of media and banned from travelling until 2034; applauds Amnesty International's global campaign to secure the release of Mr Badawi; is aware that Mr Badawi is now suffering from ill health which has worsened since the first lashes of his sentence were administered and believes he may not survive further physical punishment; is further concerned that the United Nations Human Rights Council has expressed concern at the treatment of peaceful dissidents and human rights activists in Saudi Arabia; and calls on the Government to use its influence to secure Mr Badawi's release from imprisonment as soon as possible.
Why not help us expand this page with more details of this politician's positions on skeptical and other issues?
- E-mail them to ask for their opinions (and tell us about it by editing this page!)
- Check the information at the External Links listed above.
- Search the media for mentions of them and their positions on issues.
- Use your own brilliant ideas - but make sure you can back them up with a citation!