Skeptical Voter Questionnaire
In March 2011, in the run-up to the Scottish Parliament general election, Mr Biagi was sent a copy of the Skeptical Voter Survey Questions. His responses:
- 1. Should Homeopathy and other forms of complimentary and alternative medicine receive funding from the Scottish NHS?
- Not unless proven using the same evidence-based procedures as any other treatment.
- 2. Scotland has declared itself GMO free – do you welcome this or do you worry it could have an impact on our world class life sciences research?
- I do not believe that GM is necessary.
- 3. What would you propose as a “Scottish Solution” for funding our universities? Should we take similar steps regarding fees as England and Wales? Should we introduce a graduate tax? How can we ensure that Scotlands Universities continue to be world class?
- No. Opportunity can't have a price tag. Graduate taxes are ineffective at raising revenue. Scotland's universities should remain publicly-funded institutions.
- 4. Should schools be allowed to teach creationism as an equivalent theory to evolution?
- 5. Do you agree that testing on animals (within strict criteria) is a necessary part of the development of medicines?
- I think that depends on your strict criteria.
- 6. Should policy-makers trust scientific evidence even when it appears counter-intuitive? What steps should policy makers take to evaluate claims and seek evidence?
- Yes, with the caveat that counter-intuitive results need extra testing.
- 7. Do you think that abortion time limits should always be determined by the current scientific and medical consensus?
- This is more than just a scientific issue.
- 8. Do you support gay adoption? Do you believe certain adoption agencies should be able to reject individuals based on sexuality?
- Yes and No. In that order.
- 9. Would you retain European Human rights legislation or seek to replace it if elected?
- Retain. And possibly enhance.
- 10. What are your views on nuclear power and green energy?
- No and Yes. In that order.
- 11. What public services would you retain/scrap in Scotland if elected?
- I wouldn't scrap any of them.
Why not help us expand this page with more details of this politician's positions on skeptical issues?
- E-Mail them to ask for their opinions (and tell us about it by editing this page!)
- Check for information at the External Links listed above.
- Search the media for mentions of them and their positions on issues.
- Use your own brilliant ideas - but make sure you can back them up with a citation!