Skeptical Voter Questionnaire Response 2010
Let me put my cards on the table from the outset; I am a Christian. These answers are my personal views and do not always reflect UKIP policy. I have deliberately kept my answers short. I have an engineering and scientific background and I am educated to degree level. I wish to see harmony amongst the people of this nation and we should have the freedom to express views in a civilized and respectful manner.
1. Do you support the use of NHS money to provide unproven health products such as homeopathy?
I do not have expert knowledge in this area but in general I would hesitate to support it.
2. Should schools be allowed to teach creationism as an equivalent theory to evolution?
3. Do you believe that religious belief should be legally protected from ridicule?
Not particularly because it can be very funny and we need to be able to laugh at ourselves. Having said that, there needs to be a line in the sand and for example "Jerry Springer the Opera" was just abusive and should not have been supported with public money (BBC).
4. Should an independent government adviser whose views in their area of expertise conflict with government policy be able to express those views publicly?
5. Should religious courts such as Sharia and Beth Din be recognised as alternative systems within UK law?
6. Do you agree that testing on animals (within strict criteria) is a necessary part of the development of medicines?
Yes, within very strict criteria. I am uncomfortable with using primates for testing.
7. Should policy-makers trust scientific evidence even when it appears counter-intuitive?
I am not sure; I would prefer to investigate each specific issue before giving a quick answer. It seems that we do not always investigate the science or present the data in a form which allows informed decisions. The public are asked to support wind power but I rarely see sufficient detailed technical or financial data. The government scientists often seem to encourage irrational panics such as we have seen over Bird Flu and Swine Flu.
8. Do you think that abortion time limits should always be determined by the current scientific and medical consensus?
No. I am not a supporter of abortion.
9. Should religious leaders be entitled to vote in the House of Lords?
Yes. I am not in favour of an elected second chamber. I believe that the House of Lords should consist of a broad spectrum from society and religious leaders do represent many millions of people. I would like to see the House of Lords retreat from being party political.
10. Do you support the reform of English and Welsh libel law to allow a stronger 'public interest' defence?
I am not sure whether the current law needs to be strengthened; I do not have enough information.