Nomination of David Tredinnick for Health Committee Chair
In 2014 Mr Morris was one of 20 MPs to nominate David Tredinnick (an outspoken advocate of alternative medicine) for the position of Chair of the Health Select Committee. It is not known if Mr Morris subsequently voted for Mr Tredinnick, who only received nine votes in the anonymous ballot.
Medical Innovation ("Saatchi") Bill
In February 2015 Mr Morris was one of five MPs from Parliamentary groups related to medicine to sign a letter to the Telegraph on the subject of the Medical Innovation Bill that stated:
- "We support the purpose of the Bill – to encourage responsible innovation in medical treatment – but the Bill itself is misconceived in fact and law.
- "Parliamentary scrutiny demands evidence. There is no evidence that doctors are deterred from innovating by threat of litigation: nor is there case law where innovating doctors have been sued in negligence."
In February 2015 Grahame Morris voted in favour of allowing mitochondrial donation, which would allow women who carried mitochondrial diseases to give birth to children who would not inherit the disease. An October 2014 briefing report by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA), which had been investigating the issue for three years, stated that there was no evidence to show that mitochondrial donation was unsafe. However, some religious groups had said that such procedures should not be allowed. After clearing both Houses mitochondrial donation is now legal, regulated by the HFEA.
In October/December 2010, Grahame Morris signed Early Day Motions 767: Science is Vital Campaign, and 707: Government Funding for UK Science. Both motions supported investment in science in the face of cuts anticipated in the coalition government's October spending review, although Morris signed EDM 707 after the conclusions of the spending review had been announced.
- https://twitter.com/julianhuppert/status/481110771217469440 & https://twitter.com/julianhuppert/status/481111043796914176 & https://twitter.com/julianhuppert/status/481352356777697281
- http://grahamemorrismp.co.uk/ (old site: http://grahamemorris.com/)
Why not help us expand this page with more details of this politician's positions on skeptical and other issues?
- E-Mail them to ask for their opinions (and tell us about it by editing this page!)
- Check for information at the External Links listed above.
- Search the media for mentions of them and their positions on issues.
- Use your own brilliant ideas - but make sure you can back them up with a citation!