Proposed amendment to Defamation Bill in April 2013: http://www.libelreform.org/news/541-call-to-arms-to-stop-threat-to-defamation-bill
In May 2008 in the abortion amendments to the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill (now Act), Edward Garnier voted to keep the current time limit of 24 weeks in line with the scientific and medical consensus.
In February 2015 Edward Garnier voted in favour of allowing mitochondrial donation, which would allow women who carried mitochondrial diseases to give birth to children who would not inherit the disease. An October 2014 briefing report by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA), which had been investigating the issue for three years, stated that there was no evidence to show that mitochondrial donation was unsafe. However, some religious groups had said that such procedures should not be allowed. After clearing both Houses mitochondrial donation is now legal, regulated by the HFEA.
In 2006, MPs were asked three questions by the Rough Guide's Mark Ellingham on how seriously they took climate change as politicians and as responsible, active citizens. Edward Garnier replied:
- "1: Climate Change is the most important issue of a global dimension that all of us, and not politicians and public commentators, have to deal with. It is not just an environmental issue, but a political, social and economic one as well.
- 2: In Britain, we must cut our own emissions and encourage this through a Climate Change Bill. We all, but especially the Government (Labour or Conservative) needs to lead by example, by reducing its own energy use, using as far as practicable renewable energy sources, and promoting non-polluting technologies. I want us to move increasingly towards a low carbon economy. We need to be brave if we are to lead an international effort to tackle climate change and to secure world-wide agreement. The Stern Report is there for us all to act on and we must."
Garnier has signed a number of Early Day Motions indicating that he agrees that climate change is occurring and is primarily due to the release of greenhouse gases. The motions include:
- EDM 789: Energy And Climate Change (signed October 2008)
- EDM 1019: Climate Change and Energy Production (signed October 2008)
- EDM 689: Solar Energy (signed June 2009).