Glyn Davies is the Conservative MP for Montgomeryshire. He entered Parliament at the May 2010 general election, taking the seat from Lembit Öpik (Liberal Democrat). Davies was member of the National Assembly for Wales for the Mid and West Wales region from 1999 to 2007.
In a June 2010 blog post titled "The killing of babies", Davies linked to a post by political blogger Guido Fawkes on abortion and asked "If this post by Guido is as it appears, how can anyone claim that an abortion at 24 weeks is not murder?".
In February 2015 Glyn Davies voted against allowing mitochondrial donation, which would allow women who carried mitochondrial diseases to give birth to children who would not inherit the disease. If allowed, mitochondrial donation would be regulated by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) meaning that there would be ongoing assessment of the safety and efficacy of such procedures. An October 2014 briefing report by the HFEA, which had been investigating the issue for three years, stated that there was no evidence to show that mitochondrial donation was unsafe. However, some religious groups had said that such procedures should not be allowed. The majority of MPs voted in favour of allowing mitochondrial donation.
In June 2010, Glyn Davies signed Early Day Motion 342: British Medical Association Motions on Homeopathy which expressed regret at a number of motions passed at the recent BMA annual representative meeting that "oppose further commissioning and funding of homeopathic remedies in the NHS", and "notes that 140 books have been published on homeopathy and that there is overwhelming anecdotal evidence that homeopathy is effective".
Nomination of David Tredinnick for Health Committee Chair
In 2014 Mr Davies was one of 20 MPs to nominate David Tredinnick (an outspoken advocate of alternative medicine) for the position of Chair of the Health Select Committee. It is not known if Mr Davies subsequently voted for Mr Tredinnick, who only received nine votes in the anonymous ballot.
- https://twitter.com/julianhuppert/status/481110771217469440 & https://twitter.com/julianhuppert/status/481111043796914176 & https://twitter.com/julianhuppert/status/481352356777697281
- A View From Rural Wales - blog
- http://cipolwgarc308.blogspot.com/ - Welsh language blog
Why not help us expand this page with more details of this politician's positions on skeptical and other issues?
- E-Mail them to ask for their opinions (and tell us about it by editing this page!)
- Check for information at the External Links listed above.
- Search the media for mentions of them and their positions on issues.
- Use your own brilliant ideas - but make sure you can back them up with a citation!