Mr Coburn, who is gay himself, wrote an article for Pink News in which he stated:
- 'UKIP thoroughly supports equal rights for same sex civil partnerships and equal treatment financially as married couples. As a matter of fact we support the same allowances for gay partners with children as married couples with children.
- 'Our problem is with the word “marriage”.'
- 'I have always fought for equal treatment and I believe civil partnerships have achieved that. However I think it does the gay community no good whatever to cross the street and pick a fight with people of faith.
- 'We have for so long been persecuted ourselves that it seems like performing an unnecessary victory roll over a defeated enemy to demand that our perfectly satisfactory arrangements should be called “marriage”. This shows a lack of toleration towards others who look on marriage as a holy sacrament between man and woman.'
Glasgow Skeptics Hustings
Mr Coburn participated in hustings organised by Glasgow Skeptics prior to the 2014 European Parliamentary elections: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiZKCUcaCwM
Why not help us expand this page with more details of this politician's positions on skeptical and other issues?
- Contact them to ask for their opinions (and tell us about it by editing this page!)
- Check their voting record and other information at the External Links listed above.
- Search the media for mentions of them and their positions on issues.
- Use your own brilliant ideas - but make sure you can back them up with a citation!