The House of Commons Science and Technology Committee report of October 2007 had found no good evidence of change since the limit was set in 1990, and hence no new reason for a reduction. However, it acknowledged that this was only one of many factors to be taken into account when legislating, and did not make any recommendations as to how MPs should vote.
In February 2015 Crispin Blunt voted in favour of allowing mitochondrial donation, which would allow women who carried mitochondrial diseases to give birth to children who would not inherit the disease. An October 2014 briefing report by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA), which had been investigating the issue for three years, stated that there was no evidence to show that mitochondrial donation was unsafe. However, some religious groups had said that such procedures should not be allowed. After clearing both Houses, mitochondrial donation is now legal, regulated by the HFEA.
Nomination of David Tredinnick for Health Committee Chair
In June 2015 Crispin Blunt was one of 19 MPs to nominate David Tredinnick for the position of Chair of the Health Select Committee. Mr Tredinnick's advocacy of alternative medicine is well known and only four months earlier his view that astrology could have a role in reducing pressure on doctors had been widely reported (e.g. here).
In 2006, MPs were asked three questions by the Rough Guide's Mark Ellingham on how seriously they took climate change as politicians and as responsible, active citizens. Crispin Blunt replied:
- "Climate change is on of the greatest challenges facing our generation. It is not just an environmental issue, but a social and economic one. I have taken an interest in this issue for some time, especially when I was the Shadow Energy Minister. At the time I wrote an energy policy which included emissions trading, and I note that the Stern Review believes the scheme should be expanded. The policy can be found on my website in the " Articles Section".
Out4Marriage video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMnWJmJDOJM
- http://www.blunt4reigate.com/ (previously http://www.crispinbluntmp.com/)
Why not help us expand this page with more details of this politician's positions on skeptical and other issues?
- E-Mail them to ask for their opinions (and tell us about it by editing this page!)
- Check their voting record and other details at the External Links listed above.
- Search the media for mentions of them and their positions on issues.
- Use your own brilliant ideas - but make sure you can back them up with a citation!