Candidate Survey 2015
See past questions: Candidate Survey 2010
The following questions are among those you might like to pose to your prospective parliamentary candidates. Since the questions should also help you to decide who to vote for, feel free to modify them, to omit questions, or to add your own questions (some suggestions at the bottom of the page).
Part of the reason for asking the questions is to let candidates know about issues that are important to you, and where you stand on them. For this reason where we take a stance on questions we have not made any effort to hide this stance.
Contact details for candidates can be found at YourNextMP.com.
- Do you support the use of public funds to provide unproven health products such as homeopathy?
- Do you think that abortion time limits should always be determined by the current scientific and medical consensus?
Science and Research
- Do you agree that testing on animals (within strict criteria) is a necessary part of the development of medicines?
- Should schools be allowed to teach creationism as an equivalent theory to evolution?
- Do you believe that religious belief should be legally protected from ridicule? [SHOULD THIS BE FOLDED INTO E.G. A QUESTION ON SAUDI ARABIA? ]
- Should bishops or other religious leaders have an automatic right to vote in the House of Lords?
- Should an independent government adviser whose views in their area of expertise conflict with government policy be able to express those views publicly without fear of being sacked? [NEED TO REWORD?]
- Should policy-makers trust scientific evidence even when it appears counter-intuitive? [MAYBE WRAP THIS INTO PREVIOUS QUESTION?]
- Policy wrt e.g. Saudi Arabia
- Climate change (ref IPCC report)
- Medical research/Saatchi Bill/All Trials
- On testing policies to see if they are effective
Suggested Additional Questions
If you contact your local candidates, feel free to add your own questions (or remove or reword the suggested questions). Questions can reflect your own interests and do not need to have a "skeptical" focus.
- Do you believe the UK should move to an opt-out, rather than an opt-in, organ donation system?
- ? On outsourcing of NHS services ?
- ? On "austerity" as an economic policy